[Haskell-cafe] Darcs vs Git

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Nov 14 22:37:26 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:

> Am 14.11.2015 um 21:10 schrieb Mike Meyer:
> > Since we're talking about this, ones is the reasons I dislike for is that
> > it treats the project history just like any other prolix public document,
> > providing tools for modifying it, changing it as you push or pull, etc. I
> > disagree with this, and prefer tools that believe that history should be
> > immutable, like hg and fossil.
> Just curious: Why?

Philosophical. I want history to reflect the way things actually happened.

> So I think the difference is less relevant than most people think - but
> then maybe I'm overlooking something, so what's your take?

I'm not convinced that a rebase in lieu of a merge doesn't hide where bugs
are introduced. But that's minor to not wanting history hidden. I even had
someone ask that I collapse a bunch of changes when I pushed them to my
github repo before creating a PR. Not going to happen.