[Haskell-cafe] Example programs with ample use of deepseq?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Jan 9 23:38:44 CET 2013

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 09.01.2013, 15:11 +0100 schrieb Erik Hesselink:
> We finally solved the problems by completely moving
> to strict map operations, strict MVar/TVar operations, and strict data
> types.

do you mean strict by policy (i.e. before storing something in a
[MT]Var, you ensure it is evaluated) or by construction (by `seq` or
`deepseq`’ing everything before it is stored)? In the latter case: Seq
or deeqseq? Again in the latter case: Do you worry about the performance
of repeatedly deepseq’ing an already deepseq’ed and possibly large
value?

You are not the first user of Haskell who ends up with that approach to
lazy evaluation. I’m not sure what that means for Haskell, though.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner