[Haskell-cafe] Example programs with ample use of deepseq?

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:11:15 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Joachim Breitner
<mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.01.2013, 14:23 +0100 schrieb Erik Hesselink:
>> We've also used this approach to debug space-leaks, and would have
>> loved such a tool. We used deepseq, and compared the heap profiles. We
>> finally found the leaks this way, and fixed them using strictness
>> annotations. Finally, we verified by running deepseq again at top
>> level and observing that it didn't change anything anymore.
>
> same question to you: Would you have a suitable test case that can be
> used to test and demonstrate the usefulness of such tools?

Sadly, no. This is a private, core part of our application that I
cannot share. I can describe what we did, and also the structure of
the data in broad terms: we have several Maps, where the keys are
usually Text, and the values are custom data types. These contain keys
into these maps again. The whole thing defines a graph with several
indexes into it. We finally solved the problems by completely moving
to strict map operations, strict MVar/TVar operations, and strict data
types.

If you have more questions, or tools you want to test, I'd be happy to
help, though.

Regards,

Erik