[Haskell-cafe] compiler construction

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 3 20:53:33 CET 2011

Chalmers University in Gothenburg, Sweden has a master's programme
that includes a compiler construction course.  For the lectures from
last term, see:
http://www.cse.chalmers.se/edu/course/TDA282/lectures.html

When I took it in 2006 it was a very practical course -- your task was
to implement a basic compiler and the final grade was based on the
number of features you implemented.  You could choose to do it in
Haskell, Java or C++.

The master's course is "Secure and Dependable Computer Systems" and
takes 2 years. You could also become an exchange student at Chalmers
via Erasmus, but the course is only given once a year, so if you plan
to do a 6 month exchange then you have to time it right.

Of course, Chalmers is in Sweden and therefore in none of your
preferred countries.  However, all MSc courses are taught in English
and almost everyone in Sweden speaks English very well.  Learning
Swedish also isn't very difficult if you're (I assume) German.  If you
stick to it, you can be fluent in 6 months (I didn't, but I can read a
lot of Swedish).

As an alternative in the UK, you might consider Nottingham University.
 They too have a strong FP research group and their compiler
construction course seems to use Haskell as well:
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~nhn/G53CMP/

Other Universities in your preferred countries you might want to check
out (though I don't know anything about their taught programs), they
are known to have FP researchers:

  - UNSW, Sydney
  - Oxford, England
  - Edinburgh Univ. or Harriot Watts (though HW is more O'Caml/SML)
  - Univ. of St. Andrews, Scotland
  - Univ. of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland
  - Leicester, England (teaches Haskell to undergrads, not sure about
compiler constr.)
  - Imperial College, London
  - University College London (UCL)
  - (there're probably more...)

On 3 November 2011 17:02, Timo von Holtz <timo.v.holtz at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I study computer science in Kiel, Germany and I want to study abroad.
> Now I look for Universities, which offer compiler construction, since
> I need that course, preferably in the UK, Ireland, Australia or New
> Zealand.
> Ideally it would be in Haskell of course.
>
> Greetings
> Timo

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.