[Haskell-cafe] compiler construction

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Thu Nov 3 20:26:18 CET 2011

Hi Timo,

> Now I look for Universities, which offer compiler construction, since
> I need that course, preferably in the UK, Ireland, Australia or New
> Zealand.
> Ideally it would be in Haskell of course.

I currently work in a research group that is well known for their compiler
construction research. You may have heard of UHC, the Utrecht Haskell
Compiler [1]? If not, you should look into it. We have a master's course on
compiler construction [2] taught by one of the architects [3] of UHC. There
is even a second Haskell-ish compiler, Helium [4], that has shone the way
towards better error messages.

The people [5] in the Software Technology group [6] at Utrecht University
do a lot of other interesting work, too. The topics include functional
programming, generic programming, dependently typed programming, parser
combinators, static analysis, type systems, etc.

UU is based in the Netherlands, not one of the English-speaking locations
you seem to prefer. But the lingua franca here is English and there are
students and staff from all over, so it can seem like a "more foreign"
place at times.

We're happy to have more students interested in pushing the boundaries of
language research.

Regards,
Sean

[1] http://www.cs.uu.nl/wiki/UHC