[Haskell-cafe] Web application framework comparison?

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Sep 28 07:15:45 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Christopher Done
<chrisdone at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hmm. Maybe we should sort this out. It's incomplete. The Web category
> is sporadic: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Category:Web
>
> Supposing we made a Web/Foo namespace and got some proper hierarchy.
> Of interest to most people are:
>
> * What can I do?
> * How can I do it?
> * Who has already done it?
> * Why did they do it like this?
> * What needs doing?
> * How up to date is all this information?
>
> Our discussions here, on IRC and on web-devel should really be
> documented. It should be that whenever we create or discover something
> substantial for web dev we should document it with examples on the
> Wiki. There isn't much centralised comparison of frameworks and
> libraries, either. One could make a table of frameworks/libraries and
> their features a la Wikipedia does. I don't know many frameworks but
> other people can fill the holes in.
>
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Web is a good start, as is
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Applications_and_libraries/Web_programming
> for examples
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Formlets is also a good example of
> giving examples of a library. It's nice to link to some blog or
> external page but those disappear or lose relevance/compatibility over
> time, whereas a Wiki remains, and anyone can update it. For this
> reason I think it's a good idea for us to put work into the wiki.
>
> I'll reformat the entire Web category (immutably! I'll do it in
> Web/..) as a proposal, see what you guys think.

+1. I did the rewrite of the /Web wiki page to try to make it more
accessible. If you have a better format and want to move some of that
content around, feel free to do so. Also, if you need any content or
other assistance, please let me know. I think we need to improve our
image on the wiki.

Michael