[Haskell-cafe] "malicious" JS on haskell site

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Thu Sep 9 19:06:32 EDT 2010

On 10-09-09 05:30 PM, Keith Sheppard wrote:
> Maybe malicious isn't the right word but there is a JS based web
> counter on http://www.haskell.org/complex/why_does_haskell_matter.html
> which likes to show pop up adverts. They must have switched over from
> counting visitors to showing adverts at some point since the web page
> was created.

The web counter is obtained from
<script language="JavaScript"
src="http://m1.nedstatbasic.net/basic.js"></script>

Instead of doing static analysis on the javascript code, I decided to
exploit society instead. Googling "nedstatbasic", I found this (though
not 1st hit):

http://www.nedstat.com/nedstat-news-archive/129-nedstat-sells-nedstat-basic-to-ad-pepper-media

Looks like the free web counter was sold to an advertiser as few years ago.