[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Tue Aug 26 13:34:38 EDT 2008

I have a feeling this is going to be a very long thread so I'm trying
to go to Haskell cafe again (without mucking it up again).

Derek Elkins wrote:
> Haskell should be moving -toward- a capability-like model, not away from
> it.

Could you show how to implement Data.Random or Data.Unique using such a
model, or any (preferably all) of the use cases identified can be
implemented? Like what about implementing the socket API starting with
nothing but primitives to peek/poke ethernet mac and dma controller
registers?

Why should Haskell should be moving -toward- a capability-like model and
why does top level <- declarations take us away from it?

Regards
--
Adrian Hey