[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Tutorial on information visualization and visual analytics in Haskell

Jefferson Heard jefferson.r.heard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 16:00:24 EDT 2008

The tutorial has now been updated to what I think will more or less be
the final version.  There are now figures where appropriate.  The code
has been checked, and I'm sure now that the examples work.  Now that
I'm done, I'll repeat the original announcement, and all can enjoy:

This is the tutorial I'll be presenting at DEFUN 2008.  I'll be
building a site around it until then, complete with compilable code
examples, but I thought I would let everyone get a sneak peek at the
long version of the tutorial before I'm done with it.  The code is as
yet untested, and keep in mind, advanced Haskellers, that I'm
purposefully simplifying some things to be understood by the beginner
to the intermediate Haskeller.  Comments and questions are welcome and
encouraged.

 The link is:

http://bluheron.europa.renci.org/docs/BeautifulCode.pdf

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> jefferson.r.heard:
>> This is the tutorial I'll be presenting at DEFUN 2008.  I'll be
>> building a site around it until then, complete with compilable code
>> examples, but I thought I would let everyone get a sneak peek at the
>> long version of the tutorial before I'm done with it.  The code is as
>> yet untested, and keep in mind, advanced Haskellers, that I'm
>> purposefully simplifying some things to be understood by the beginner
>> to the intermediate Haskeller.  Comments and questions are welcome and
>> encouraged.  Please do ignore typos in the inline code for now,
>> though, as I'll be spending this week testing it out and making sure
>> everything works.
>>
>> The link is:
>>
>> http://bluheron.europa.renci.org/docs/BeautifulCode.pdf
>
> This is a beautiful piece of work, Jefferson!
>

> And maybe a nice time to mention that Jefferson will be presenting,
> along with some other leading lights in the community, at DEFUN, our
> first developer-oriented workshop at ICFP.
>
>    http://www.deinprogramm.de/defun-2008/
>
> So if the ICFP theory-heavy schedule seems a bit dry to you, consider
> registering for the DEFUN tutorials, and come away having built some
> beautiful code in Haskell.
>
> -- Don

I try to take things like a crow; war and chaos don't always ruin a
picnic, they just mean you have to be careful what you swallow.

-- Jessica Edwards