[Haskell-cafe] ANN: BLAS bindings for haskell, version 0.5

Patrick Perry patperry at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 11 19:53:57 EDT 2008

Hey everyone,

I've put together a new release of the Haskell BLAS bindings, now
available on hackage.

Here are the new features:

* Add Banded matrix data type, as well as Tri Banded and Herm Banded.
* Add support for trapezoidal dense matrices (Tri Matrix (m,n) e, where
   m is not the same as n).  Note that trapezoidal banded matrices are
   *NOT* supported.
* Add Diag matrix data type for diagonal matrices.
* Add Perm matrix data type, for permutation matrices.
* Enhance the RMatrix and RSolve type classes with an API that allows
   specifying where to store the result of a computation.
* Enhance the IMatrix, RMatrix, ISolve, and RSolve type classes to add
   "scale and multiply" operations.
* Remove the scale parameter for Tri and Herm matrix data types.
* Flatten the data types for DVector and DMatrix.
* Some inlining and unpacking performance improvements.

As far as what to expect in version 0.6, I plan to add support for
operations
in the ST monad.  This is going to require a pretty big code
reorganization and
will cause quite a few API breakages, but I think it's worth the
pain.  The
next release will also come with a tutorial and examples.  After the big
code reorganization, I'll get started on LAPACK bindings.

Please let me know if you are using the library.  I'm really
interested in
what people like and don't like.  If you think that some functionality
is
missing, let me know.  If you think the API is awkward in certain
places,
let me know that, too.

Patrick
Cross-posted to: