[Haskell-cafe] GC'ing file handles and other resources

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Tue Apr 15 19:18:53 EDT 2008

Are Haskell folks satisfied with the practical necessity of imperatively &
explicitly reclaiming resources such as file handles, fonts & brushes, video
memory chunks, etc?  Doesn't explicit freeing of these resources have the
same modularity and correctness problems as explicit freeing of system
memory (C/C++ programming)?

I wrote a lovely purely functional graphics library that used video memory
to lazily compute and cache infinite-resolution images, and I found that I
don't know how to get my finalizers to run anytime soon after video memory
chunks become inaccessible.  Explicit freeing isn't an option, since the
interface is functional, not imperative (IO).

I guess I'm wondering a few things:

* Are Haskell programmers generally content with imperative and bug-friendly
interfaces involving explicit freeing/closing of resources?
* Do people assume that these resources (or handling them frugally) aren't
useful in purely functional interfaces?
* Are there fundamental reasons why GC algorithms cannot usefully apply to
resources like video memory, file descriptors, etc?
* Are there resource management techniques that have the flexibility,
efficiency, and accuracy of GC that I could be using for these other
resources?

Thanks,
  - Conal