[Haskell-cafe] N and R are categories, no?

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 12:57:10 EDT 2007

That said, N and R are indeed categories; however, considering them as
categories should be carefully interlaced with your intuitions about
them as types.

I haven't formally checked it, but I would bet that this endofunctor
over N, called Sign, is a monad:

  Sign x = x + x
  Pos = injectLeft
  Neg = injectRight

  unit = Pos
  join (Pos (Pos n)) = Pos n
  join (Pos (Neg n)) = Neg n
  join (Neg (Pos n)) = Neg n
  join (Neg (Neg n)) = Pos n

Pos and Neg are just labels for sign. I'm assuming N is the naturals,
not the integers; thus this monad might actually be useful :). Also
note that this means there is not necessarily a mapping from F x -> x.
Neg 3 should not necessarily map to 3. Also, this structure is
probably satisfies many more laws than just the monad laws--e.g.
monoids or monoidals.

So while it might not always make sense to consider N and R as
categories when learning about category theory and Haskell, it might
be helpful to learn about monads (and other notions) in categories
simpler than the Fun category of functional types and partial
functions--N and R are could be good categories for such learning.
Have fun!