[Haskell-cafe] Newbie Question on type constructors

Keith Wansbrough Keith.Wansbrough at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 1 11:50:59 EST 2004

> Oh, I disagree with this point of view.  Circle is certainly a value,
> i.e. a full-fledged function, as Brian Beckman correctly surmised.  The

> Ben Rudiak-Gould wrote:
> > Brian Beckman wrote:
> >
> >  >data Shape = Circle Float
> >  >           | Square Float
> >  >
> >  >I read this something along the lines of "'Shape' is a type constructor,
> >  >for use in other type-defining expressions, and 'Circle' and 'Sqare' are
> >  >its two data constructors, which should be used like functions of type
> >  >'Float -> Shape'".  Indeed, typing "Circle" at the Hugs prompt reveals
> >  >that Haskell has a "function" named "Circle" with type "Float -> Shape."

Indeed, they are functions.  Another way of thinking about it is as an
"initial algebra" (technical term).  What this means is this:

"Shape" is a set of values that contains
  - the result of Circle x      for all values x :: Float
  - the result of Square x      for all values x :: Float
such that
  - there's nothing in Shape that can't be reached this way ("no junk")
  - there is no value in Shape that can be reached in two
      different ways ("no confusion").

HTH.

--KW 8-)