[Haskell-cafe] Newbie Question on type constructors

Paul Hudak paul.hudak at yale.edu
Mon Nov 1 11:44:24 EST 2004

Oh, I disagree with this point of view.  Circle is certainly a value,
i.e. a full-fledged function, as Brian Beckman correctly surmised.  The
Haskell designers did not decide "for convenience" that Circle is the
same as \x -> Circle x.  Rather, that's a fundamental law (the eta law,
to be exact) of the lambda calculus, on which Haskell is based.

The real reason that the Haskell designers chose to have constructors
begin with a capital letter is to make pattern-matching clearer.  For
example, if one writes (\Foo -> 42) it is clear that Foo is a
constructor, and this function will be an error when applied to anything
but Foo, whereas (\foo -> 42) will match anything.  If the namespaces
were not separated in this way, then you wouldn't know whether "foo" was
a constructor or a formal parameter, without looking at your whole
program -- including imports -- to track down all "data" declarations.

I hope this helps,

   -Paul

--
Professor Paul Hudak
Chair, Dept of Computer Science   Office: (203) 432-1235
P.O. Box 208285                   email:  paul.hudak at yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06520-8285          WWW:    www.cs.yale.edu/~hudak