[Haskell-cafe] Re: Non-technical Haskell question

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 20:34:09 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 19:27:56 +0100, Gour
<gour-haskell-cafe-sender-b3e10c at atmarama.org> wrote:
> > Three of us also have a very rough start on a hands-on, practical
> > introduction to Haskell aimed at the experienced imperative programmer.
>
> This is *very* important - bringing new people from the imperative (I do not
> mean they should be 'converted' at any cost :-) camp by showing them how
> Haskell can be very elegant solution for solving general programming problems
> and than one does not require to hold a Ph.D. in a CS to be qualified to
> program in Haskell.

A year or so a go I started a tutorial series with the intent of doing
just this. However I only got past a very rough first draft of the
first tutorial that, quite frankly, was rubbish, and I didn't have
time to finish it.
There is still  the "why should you care" article available at
http://www.haskell.org/complex but the rest of my ambitious project
was put on ice.

Anyway, I'm currently working on an article for a Swedish print
magazine on Haskell (similar to the one linked above, but less
argumentative) that's due out at the end of January 2005. Hopefully
that will contribute to spark the interest of a few imperative
programmers to try Haskell out.
I think that's a pretty good way to go about it. If you calmly list
the benifits of Haskell, with a few tutorial-ish examples, and get
that published in a print magazine (which the mainstream programmers
read) I think that could convince quite a few people to give it a try.

/S

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655