Building ndp Problem

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 26 03:24:11 EDT 2008

Dominic Steinitz wrote:
> I wanted to try out data parallel haskell. I followed the instructions
> on http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Data_Parallel_Haskell/PackageNDP but I
> get the following error:
>
>> dom at lagrange:~/ghc/libraries> make make.library.ndp
>> make: *** No rule to make target `build.library.ndp', needed by `make.library.ndp'.  Stop.

I'm sure I shouldn't have done this but I did get ndp to build.

1. In libraries/Makefile, I replaced

> SUBDIRS += process pretty hpc template-haskell editline Cabal random haskell98

with

> SUBDIRS += process pretty hpc template-haskell editline Cabal random haskell98 ndp

         ^^^
I suspect I didn't supply the correct build.mk but there weren't any
clues on http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Data_Parallel_Haskell/PackageNDP
 so I therefore used the one suggested on
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Hacking entitled "How
to make GHC build quickly"

2. There was already a hack for ndp so I added my own

> # Hack for ndp, as described above
> make.library.ndp: build.library.ndp
>
> MYSUBDIRS  = ndp
>
> # Build the library using 'setup build' (not the default)
> $(foreach SUBDIR,$(MYSUBDIRS),build.library.$(SUBDIR)):\
> build.library.%: stamp/configure.library.build$(CONFIGURE_STAMP_EXTRAS).% \
>                  %/setup/Setup ifBuildable/ifBuildable
> 	if ifBuildable/ifBuildable $*; then \
> 	  setup/Setup build $(addprefix --ghc-option=,$(GhcLibHcOpts)); \
> 	  setup/Setup register --inplace; \
> 	fi

I'm guessing if I'd got the right build.mk I wouldn't have needed to do
this.

Dominic.