small and compact ghc distribution

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed May 14 03:45:06 EDT 2008

Hello leledumbo,

> I'm a college student and I just want to learn functional programming with
> Haskell. No need to access libraries other than GHC rtl (or whatever you
> call it).
> I already have gcc on my machine, does GHC still need its own?
> Will there be any small and compact GHC distribution (if someone wants to
> make it, I'd be very grateful)?

1. you can use winhugs - it's more user-friendly. and need only ~10mb
in stripped installation

2. you can try to delete all the unneeded libs from ghc distro. in
particular, all those *_p* files are just profiling versions - you
don't need them

3. i think that ghc should work without gcc at all

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com