small and compact ghc distribution

leledumbo leledumbo_cool at yahoo.co.id
Wed May 14 03:31:41 EDT 2008

Currently, GHC distribution is VERY BIG (about 410 MB). 2 Things that I
noticed which contributed most of this problem are: libraries (about 220 MB)
and GCC and friends compiler (including perl, ar, as, ld, etc).
I'm a college student and I just want to learn functional programming with
Haskell. No need to access libraries other than GHC rtl (or whatever you
call it).
I already have gcc on my machine, does GHC still need its own?
Will there be any small and compact GHC distribution (if someone wants to
make it, I'd be very grateful)?