[ghc-steering-committee] Remove the * kind syntax (#143); Recommendation: accept

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Mon Jul 16 02:28:55 UTC 2018

I think you have the polarity backwards. -XNoStarIsType will be enabled by default in 12 releases, and -XStarIsType will be removed after 15.

The future is always up for debate. The question, to me, is this: At the 15-release mark, would it take another proposal to

A) remove -XStarIsType, or
B) keep -XStarIsType

Accepting this proposal as-is means (B). In that scenario, we're not committed irreversibly to removing -XStarIsType; it just means that's our current plan. Someone from the future might propose changing the plan, and that could be considered in light of the greater information available in the future.

Thus, I think it's all good as is.

Richard