[ghc-steering-committee] Remove the * kind syntax (#143); Recommendation: accept

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Jul 15 13:06:35 UTC 2018

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 14.07.2018, 19:42 -0400 schrieb Ben Gamari:
> This proposal involves a protracted but warranted transition period. In short:
>
>  1. `-XNoStarIsType` will be introduced in GHC 8.6
>
>  2. Warnings will be introduced in GHC 8.8, increasing in visibility in
>     later releases.
>
>  3. `-XStarIsType` will be enabled by default starting 12 releases
>     (roughly 7 years from now) after GHC 8.6.

fine with me so far.

>  4. 15 releases (8.5 years from now) after GHC 8.6 `-XNoStarIsType` will
>     be removed.

I would rather reword this to “may be removed”, and leave it to the
future GHC developers to make the call. It may be that they decide that
the cost keeping the StarIsType code around is not that big, and that
the benefit of running old code  with less effort is higher, and I see
no reason to force their hand at this point. Instead of forcing, we
should at most give a mandate.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de