[ghc-steering-committee] GHC proposals

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Dec 3 16:19:08 UTC 2018

Hi,

Am Montag, den 03.12.2018, 16:08 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones:
> Joachim
> Could we add a tag for “Implemented” so that we can have convenient lists for “accepted and implemented” vs “accepted and not yet implemented”?   Easy, and valuable.

So far I shied away from the bureaucracy of having to track what
happens after acceptance (including keeping the `trac` and
`implemented` fields on top up-to-date). Occasionally people have
updated this metadata.

I am happy to introduce an Implemented label, but do not promise that I
will track GHC changes close enough to always set it correctly.

Do we consider it as implemented when a DR is created, when it hits
master, or when it is released?

> The “under discussion” list seems terribly short – only two proposals!
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+no%3Alabel
> There are tons of proposals under discussion!  What’s wrong?

Oh, darn! Vitaly started tagging Proposals with the tag “Proposal”,
which is a nice idea, but it breaks the current setup where “no tag”
means “Proposal under discussion”.

Not using a tag was a deliberate choice, as it has the advantage that
newly created proposals are automatically correctly categorized. Note
that contributors who are not members of the team don’t have
permissions to set a tag, so we can’t ask them to set a “Under
discussion“ tag.

Vitaly, how about we delete the Proposal tag, and maybe mark non-
proposals with a tag (maybe with a grey or dull color). Given that most
pull requests are proposals, let’s mark the exceptions instead!

  mail at joachim-breitner.de