How do you keep tabs on commits that fix issues?

Bryan Richter bryan at haskell.foundation
Thu Sep 28 06:56:06 UTC 2023

I am not sure of the best ways for checking if a certain issue has been
fixed on a certain release. My past ways of using git run into certain
problems:

The commit (or commits!) that fix an issue get rewritten once by Marge as
they are rebased onto master, and then potentially a second time as they
are cherry-picked onto release branches. So just following the original
commits doesn't work.

If a commit mentions the issue it fixes, you might get some clues as to
where it has ended up from GitLab. But those clues are often drowning in
irrelevant mentions: each failed Marge batch, for instance, of which there
can be many.

The only other thing I can think to do is look at the original merge
request, pluck out the commit messages, and use git to search for commits
by commit message and check each one for which branches contain it. But
then I also need to know the context of the fix to know whether I should
also be looking for other, logically related commits, and repeat the dance.
(Sometimes fixes are only partially applied to certain releases,
exacerbating the need for knowing the context.) This seems like a mechanism
that can't rely on trusting the author of the original set of patches
(which may be your past self) and instead requires a deep understanding to
be brought to bear every time you would want to double check the situation.
So it's not very scalable and I wouldn't expect many people to be able to
do it.

Are there better mechanisms already available? As I've said before, I am
used to a different git workflow and I'm still learning how to use the one
used by GHC. I'd like to know how others handle it.

Thanks!

-Bryan