Reinstallable - base

Moritz Angermann moritz.angermann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 02:30:54 UTC 2023

Something I haven’t gotten around to but only preliminary experiments with
is dynamically built iserv binaries.

Using -fexternal-interpreter can decouple the symbols the interpreter sees
and those the compiler sees (They can even be of different architectures).
iserv could be linked against the base the project wants to use, whereas
GHC itself could use a different base. I’m not sure this covers everything,
but it covers at least the case where we don’t need to load two different
packages into the same process.

Wrt to TH, I’m a bit behind on reading all the prior work to solve this,
but conceptually I still believe template-haskell itself should not expose
the internal ast, but only a combinator API to it.

Regarding DSO’s: let’s please not make the existence of DSO a hard
dependency. There are platforms for which we don’t have DSO capabilities,
and where we are forced to use the in-memory loader and linker.