Improving Merge Request review processes

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 09:34:55 UTC 2023

> The majority of contributors don't have the rights to modify labels on
> merge requests. It might be good to add a few words of advice for that
> group: What should *they* do if their MR needs attention?

Oh!  That is bad.  It's no good us saying "add label X" if they can't add a
label.  Can we give everyone rights to modify labels?

Also: I have noticed that many MRs (hilariously including !10709) start
with "Thank you for your contribution to GHC".  That always irritates me:
it suggests that the author has not really bothered to write a proper MR
description.   The template isn't really a template: it's more *guidance *about
how to submit a MR, which we also supply at
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/Contributing-a-Patch.    (And if
the template is widely used, as it seems to be though I don't know how
people find it initially, it should point to that wiki page.)

I'm not quite sure how to resolve this.  Maybe make the template be truly a
template, and point to the wiki page for all content?

Simon