[ghc-lib] internal error after removal of integer-simple

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sat Jun 20 12:55:23 UTC 2020

Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> writes:

> On June 19, 2020 5:55:01 PM EDT, Shayne Fletcher via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> wrote:
>>With the recent MR that removes integer-simple in favor of ghc-bignum,
>>find that I get a runtime failure when I try to use ghc-lib to generate
>>core:
>>```
>># Running: stack     --no-terminal exec -- mini-compile
>>examples/mini-compile/test/MiniCompileTest.hs
>>
>>examples/mini-compile/test/MiniCompileTest.hs:66:5: error:
>>  * GHC internal error: `One' is not in scope during type checking, but
>>it passed the renamer
>>      tcl_env of environment: [628 :-> ATcTyCon TrName :: *,
>>                               62b :-> APromotionErr RecDataConPE,
>>                               62e :-> APromotionErr RecDataConPE]
>>    * In the definition of data constructor `TrNameS'
>>      In the data declaration for `TrName'
>>66 |   = TrNameS Addr#  -- Static
>>   |     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>mini-compile: GHC internal error: `One' is not in scope during type
>>checking, but it passed the renamer
>>tcl_env of environment: [628 :-> ATcTyCon TrName :: *,
>>                         62b :-> APromotionErr RecDataConPE,
>>                         62e :-> APromotionErr RecDataConPE]
>>```
>>
>>Anyone have any pointers on what is going wrong and what I should be
>>looking at?

One additional question: Can you confirm that this is reproducible with
a clean build? Specifically, this sort of thing is very likely to occur
if you have stale interface files (e.g. build GHC, pull some commits,
and do an incremental build). It would be good to exclude this
possibility.

Cheers,

- Ben