Typechecker plugins: request for review and another workflow question

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Mon Nov 10 15:58:00 UTC 2014

Hi Iavor;

I took a very, very cursory glance. Naturally I am not a typechecker
guru, but I did look over the mechanical changes/extensions to thread
things around. Two things popped out to me:

 - 1) Ugh, a new .hs-boot file. I assume this wasn't added without
good reason, but ideally we would be eliminating them quicker than we
add them. :) I want to take a closer look at this; perhaps we can
refactor something for you to remove the need for this.

 - 2) I am kind of not a fan of having separate 'plugins for
core2core' and 'plugins for typechecking' flags, AKA -ftc-plugin and
-fplugin. Ideally I would think all plugins could be uniformly
specified by simply saying '-fplugin'. This mostly avoids the need for
duplication and a naming convention/slew of flags for each case (which
we have to catalog and document). There may be an easy way to make
this the case; I haven't looked closely yet (it has been some time
since I starred at the plugin code, even though Max wrote it and I
helped get it merged!)

I'll take a closer look sooner; thanks.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Iavor Diatchki <iavor.diatchki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just finished merging HEAD into the branch implementing constraint solver
> plugins (`wip/tc-plugins`), so things should be fully up to date.  For ease
> of review, I squashed everything into a single commit:
>
> https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/31729d092c813edc4ef5682db2ee18b33aea6911
>
> could interested folks (I know of SimonPJ, Richard, and Adam) have a look
> and let me know if things look reasonable?
>
> On a related note:  I know that we are using phabricator for code review,
> but I don't know how to use it yet, so please let me know if I can do
> something to make the review easier.
>
> -Iavor

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant