[GHC DevOps Group] DevOps: Next steps

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Oct 12 16:15:44 UTC 2017

"Boespflug, Mathieu" <m at tweag.io> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> On 11 October 2017 at 19:03, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some are shallow; some are less so. For instance, Template Haskell is
>> one of the larger issues at the moment. However, happily, it's possible
>> Angerman will be able to fix this for 8.4 (see D3608).
>
> Right. I was speaking to Moritz last week (I'm including him in CC),
> who forwarded the experience from Sergei Trofimovich on cross
> compiling GHC. He did mention this ongoing template-haskell work. But
> this doesn't apply to the specific thing we're trying to do, right?
> Since we're cross compiling GHC itself and then we'd be running GHC in
> the target environment?

Depending upon how you approach it, perhaps not. I had assumed
that you would want to do as much compilation as possible on the host
and then run the resulting binaries on the target. As I understand it
this is what the Rustaceans do wherever possible to make testing under
qemu feasible.

Of course, if you want to run the whole testsuite, including all
compilation, under qemu, then naturally aren't affected by the TH issue.
I would be very curious to know just how slow this is.

Cheers,

- Ben