[GHC DevOps Group] DevOps: Next steps

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Thu Oct 12 16:01:39 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

On 11 October 2017 at 19:03, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
> "Boespflug, Mathieu" <m at tweag.io> writes:
>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> On 11 October 2017 at 17:01, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Well, as GHC is not GCC, GHC is also not Rust. Rust has the advantage of
>>> having a strong cross-compilation story, and a testsuite which was
>>> designed to make this usage easy. GHC is behind rust in both of these
>>> areas.
>>
>> Arguably so, yes. My experience is that there are more or less shallow
>> bugs that stand in the way of a good cross compilation story, but
>> nothing we can't address in due time. My experiments with FreeBSD this
>> weekend uncovered the following as-yet-unresolved issues (which I do
>> still need to open tickets for):
>>
> Some are shallow; some are less so. For instance, Template Haskell is
> one of the larger issues at the moment. However, happily, it's possible
> Angerman will be able to fix this for 8.4 (see D3608).

Right. I was speaking to Moritz last week (I'm including him in CC),
who forwarded the experience from Sergei Trofimovich on cross
compiling GHC. He did mention this ongoing template-haskell work. But
this doesn't apply to the specific thing we're trying to do, right?
Since we're cross compiling GHC itself and then we'd be running GHC in
the target environment?

Best,

Mathieu