[GHC DevOps Group] New release process

Manuel M T Chakravarty manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io
Fri Nov 10 02:32:07 UTC 2017

As Ben has just announced on ghc-dev, we are getting close to cutting the 8.4 branch, which marks the start of working towards the new release process:

  https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2017-November/015038.html <https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2017-November/015038.html>

In the meantime, I have summarised our plan as well as the discussion that we had on this thread so far on a new Trac Wiki page:

  https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2017-November/015038.html <https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2017-November/015038.html>

I will also keep track of how the process unfolds on this page, so you can all easily get up to speed by just checking that page.

The previous discussion on this thread ebbed off, but that doesn’t mean that all concerns have been alleviated. Moreover, the interaction with the 3 versions library policy is still unclear and we should talk with the Core Libraries Committee. What do you all think?

Ben, can you please double check what I wrote to make sure I didn’t miss anything or get anything wrong?

Cheers,
Manuel