Fwd: [Fieldtrip] Lighting Patch for Fieldtrip

David Sankel camior at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 09:09:43 EST 2009

Oops, forgot to "reply to all".

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Sankel <camior at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Fieldtrip] Lighting Patch for Fieldtrip
To: Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net>

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net> wrote:
> Also, I'd also like to see some response to Ivan's last message on the
> thread "Adding lighting to FieldTrip".  I appreciate Ivan's focus on GPU
> execution, which I hope will soon replace CPU execution in the
> implementation of FieldTrip.  I expect we'll get a quite dramatic boost in
> performance as well as having more flexibility.

The FieldTrip.Light structure, from a semantic point of view, gives
access to a lot of common light models and is independent of the
underlying OpenGL operations.

If the back-end code is completely replaced with GLSL, it will just be
a matter of setting "uniform variables" instead of glLight calls in
renderLightIO and possibly expanding the Light structure with more
funky light forms.

David

>    - Conal
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, David!  I'm glad for lights in FieldTrip.  The code looks mostly
>> good to me.  A few comments:
>>
>> * renderLightsIO's 'h' definition could use some prettying up: I'd prefer
>> a unary style (e.g. 'h Empty = return') and using Kleisli composition
>> ((>=>)) for the Union case.
>>
>> * You've mostly aligned "=", ",", "::", and "$=", which I appreciate, as
>> removing surface irregularities helps me see and fix deeper irregularities.
>> You missed some, in renderLightsIO, pltToGL ("i"), LightType, and a few
>> others.  If you look carefully at the .patch, you'll find them all.
>>
>> * I see lights getting enabled.  How do they get disabled?
>>
>> Would you mind addressing these issues and resending?
>>
>> Happy new year,
>>
>>  - Conal
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM, David Sankel <camior at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Folks,
>>>
>>> I've attached patch that will allow FieldTrip full access to omni,
>>> spot, and directional lights with varying parameters. It works much
>>> the same way as geometry does. See examples.hs for neat examples (the
>>> LegacyAdapterAnim.hs file is required for the examples and is
>>> different from the one I posted earlier).
>>>
>>> I'll be updating the ticket
>>> (http://trac.haskell.org/FieldTrip/ticket/16) shortly.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> --