[arch-haskell] New GHC -- any wishes on how it should be built?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Jul 14 10:22:56 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:35:06PM +0200, Nicola Squartini wrote:
> I have some doubts regarding LLVM, since it automatically optimizes
> the code for the build architecture and chances are that it will not
> run on older x86_64. I think it's better to wait until llvm-3.5,
> which should remove the auto optimization.

Indeed, turning on LLVM with this version of GHC would require a bit
of work on `cblrepo` to make sure the generated PKGBUILDs instructs
GHC to tell LLVM that we want "generic" binaries.  Complicated
sentence, I know, but you know what I mean :)  In short, that
particular change is unlikely to happen unless there is a killer
reason for using LLVM to build.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

As long as there are ill-defined goals, bizarre bugs, and unrealistic
schedules, there will be Real Programmers willing to jump in and Solve The
Problem, saving the documentation for later.  Long live Fortran!
     -- Ed Post