[Yhc] yca2swf? was coreFunc has extra argument

Tom Shackell shackell at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 18:02:45 EST 2008

Jeremy Shaw wrote:
> The yca2swf compiler is based on the STG machine paper -- which is
> also not really a good way to do it. My plan is to finish the FFI
> stuff for the current version, and then start over.

*gulp* I'm guessing you mean "Implementing lazy functional languages on
stock hardware". That's gonna be pretty painful.

My recommendation is to read this book, it's out of print so it's
available online for free:

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/Papers/pj-lester-book/

Read particularly the chapters on the G-Machine. The Yhc interpreter is
based on a slightly modified G-Machine design.

For a more in depth discussion you could use this other book, also out
of print and available online:

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/slpj-book-1987/index.htm

Though I found the first book sufficient for most purposes. You can also
look at how Yhc does it. The Yhc wiki has lots on how Yhc is implemented.

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yhc/RTS

The G-Machine is a bit unusual as virtual machines go, so it's well
worth understanding exactly how it works. Of course you'll need to adapt
it to the oddities of the actionscript virtual machine thingy :)

Have fun :)

Tom