[Yhc] Yhc autumn cleaning

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 04:39:31 EST 2007

Hi

> > There is no Make/ in src, its in the root. And it is an alternative
> > build system - please do not remove until we've decided on the "one
> > true" build system.
>
> Sure. I guess then this patch should be part of the set of patches
> removing SCons, which may or may not be applied at a later date
> depending on the outcome of the Great Build System Debate. I asked
> another Yhc developer about Make/ who told me as far as he knew this
> wasn't being worked on anymore. Is it still being worked on?

It can build some bits better than scons can, since it uses Cabal
rather than painful single file compilation. It isn't being worked on,
but it wasn't _that_ far off being a complete replacement.

> Henceforth you have a working Haskell compiler on an entirely new
> platform having started only with a C compiler. Someday maybe, this
> could be an alternative way of boostrapping GHC.

True, but the Haskell build system did factor in this and had a plan
to deal with it.

> > >   * Cleanup the misc/ directory.
> >
> > Everything in this directory either had a purpose, or still does -
> > leave it alone.
>
> The files removed by this patch are Batch.hs and Makefile.bpp, which
> seems to be yet another method for building under Windows and written
> in a Visual Basic like language. If the other build systems subsume
> this (or once they do), shouldn't these files be removed?

They should probably be removed soon, but let me move them into their
own repo first - I'll send a patch to remove these after that.

> > >   * Remove msvc files in BCKernel directory.
> >
> > No, these are visual studio support, and are used by the Windows build.
>
> Does this mean they are used by the scons based windows build?

I can't remember, but they are used by Windows developers to debug the
runtime, so are very useful.

> > >   * Remove toplevel test/ dir. It looks unused.
>
> It just has Split.hs, which this patch removes, along with the test/ dir.

I guess split isn't interesting enough to care about, so just delete it.