[Yhc] how to get a new front-end - idea

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 12:11:17 EST 2007

Hi

Throwing away Yhc would be a bit depressing - I think we can come up
with a different front end with different goals and different
priorities. I think we can structure it differently, and contribute
something fresh in some places. It is also important for GHC to have a
competitor, just to keep Haskell "Clean" - a standard with one
implementation is like a democracy without voting :)

However in the meantime having some way to use GHC as a front end will
be a definate benefit, therefore I propose:

1) Add a GHC <-> Yhc Core translator (me, unless someone else volunteers!)

2) Make our bytecode back end work from Yhc Core (Tom)

3) Add a -ghc-front-end flag, that skips our front end (should be quite easy)

With these three changes, we're not throwing away anything, and we
still have a separate compiler which does not depend on GHC, but users
can (if they wish) use the GHC front end.