[Yhc] New Build System

Andrew Wilkinson andrewjwilkinson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 12:49:51 EST 2007

By far the biggest problem with building Yhc is in getting libffi set up
correctly for the current platform. Malcolm's problem is that he is using a
64-bit Mac, and appears to have given up on getting Yhc to install. I'm not
sure how much support Python has for Mac64, which is probably causing us a
problem. No idea what problems Donald is having since I don't think I've
seen them on the list or in the bug tracker.

I have a partially complete rewrite of the scons build system which takes
advantage of the features in the upcoming Scons 0.97 release. I realise that
Scons build system is a bit of a mess, but I'm really not sure that throwing
it away is the best plan.

* Everything should be able to be overiden, i.e. os=mac works just
> fine on a windows box (great for cross compiling!)

This is much more to do with the compiler used than the build system. It
would be very easy to add to Scons, but I had no idea there was a desire for
it.

* Compile C files with GHC everywhere (will this go wrong?)

There is partial support for this already in Scons, but it was very
difficult to make GHC compile and link things correctly without adding in
lots of Haskell related gubbins.

* No explicit library dependancies

I have started work on a scanner that would remove the need for this, so the
list of library dependencies was never supposed to be a permanent thing.

Andrew