[Yhc] Problems installing YHC on Windows XP

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:54:38 EST 2007

Hi Bryan,

> I'm interested in fiddling with YHC, maybe helping out from time to
> time whenever I get free time, so I tried to install it from darcs
> today. Everything went well (got the source from darcs, downloaded
> SCons) until I did the configure script (error below). The scons
> output tells me that it can't find a C compiler. I have one on this
> computer via MinGW (which has executables named "gcc.exe" and
> "cpp.exe"). Not knowing SCons, I still took a shot in the dark at the
> configure script, changing the 'env' line to:
> env = Environment(ENV=os.environ, CPPPATH=["#.", "C:\\MinGW\\bin\\"])
> but that didn't work, either.
>
> Should I go with an entirely different compiler? I don't remember why
> I installed that one, but I'm not sure I even used it, so I'm not even
> sure if it works.

We don't support the gcc from MingW, in fact we don't support GCC on
Windows at all. We only support Visual Studio.

All is not lost though, if you do:
> scons build yhc
> scons build libraries

Then download a snapshot from
http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/yhc/snapshot/ and extra yhi.exe into
inst\bin, you'll have a working Yhc installation built mainly from
source, and can hack the Haskell side of Yhc easily enough. I develop
Yhc using this setup on some machines.

We should get GCC/GHC working as C compilers under Windows.