[Yhc] mapping lambda names to code

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 04:13:20 EDT 2007

Stefan O'Rear <stefanor at cox.net> writes:

> > I'm building a tracer/debugger that shows the structure of the heap,
> > using a redex trail-like data structure,
>
> - Freja, the first of the Haskell debuggers, operated in exactly this
> way, using an instrumented GHC (maybe it was HBC? the paper didn't say)
> runtime system.

Actually, Freja had its own nearly-complete compiler for Haskell.  We
tried to persuade Henrik to release it more widely as "hhc" (hardly a
haskell compiler), but he did not have enough time to support it
properly.  Freja/hhc was a native code compiler (sparc only).  It was
the first Haskell compiler to deal properly with mutually recursive
modules (you could include many modules into a single source file).  The
more serious deficiency was a lack of typeclasses (but I believe Henrik
fixed that in later versions).

Regards,
    Malcolm