[Yhc] ByteString

Creighton Hogg wchogg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 12:52:55 EDT 2007

On 6/14/07, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Creighton,
>
> > This might be a silly question for you guys, but is there a reason why
> yhc
> > still uses PackedString in places instead of ByteString?
>
> Two reasons:
>
> 1) ByteStrings are totally unreliable - they can't be made to work in
> GHC 6.4 and GHC 6.6 without features of Cabal that aren't even written
> yet. We did move to Data.Binary, which requires ByteStrings, but had
> to change back because it was a nightmare. If the benefits were
> compelling we could move, but it wasn't worth it just for binary
> serialisation.
>
> 2) When the code was written, there weren't ByteStrings, and no one
> has had the time to port to them.
>
> If someone ported Yhc to ByteStrings, we'd definitely accept a patch!

Well, if you don't mind I'd like to do it.  I'm trying to understand your
sourcecode anyway, so I might as well do something useful while I'm fussing
with it.  I guess I didn't really know about these reliability issues with
ByteString though, do you have some anecdotes or references about it?

Cheers