[Yhc] Yhc: A second impression

Andrew Wilkinson andrewjwilkinson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 03:48:25 EST 2007

On 2/14/07, Thorkil Naur <naur at post11.tele.dk> wrote:

> Hello Niel,
>
> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 23:49, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> > Andrew: Does Yhi get built by default with -O ?
>
> In the output from the Yhc build, I cannot find traces that -O is being
> used,
> neither for the ghc compiled nor the gcc compiles.

No, by default Yhi is not built with -O, but by passing type=release to
scons it will be.

But then I tried to add -O using the CCFLAGS and GHCFLAGS environment
> variables that were mentioned recently. First, however, I did a scons
> clean,
> output was this:
>
> "Nothing"? Hm ... At this point, I believe that I observed that bin/yhc
> still
> existed, so I decided to scons fullclean:

Scons outputs 'nothing' because the cleaning is done outside of the usual
scons way of doing things, so scons doesn't think it has anything to do when
in fact stuff has already been done. This is nothing to worry about, and is
normal.

Again "Nothing". But now bin/yhc had disappeared. So "scons". But:
> So, at least with this pull, I seem to be stuck. I could probably pull a
> fresh
> Yhc and get going again, but I have not tried that.

This is a bug with the latest version of scons (at least I think it's a
scons problem not a Yhc problem) and can be worked around by run 'scons
--config=force'

Regards,
Andrew