[Yhc] Yhc: A second impression

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 17:49:54 EST 2007

Hi Thorkil

> I have been able to use Yhc to run a number of my "serious" toy programs,
> solving important problems like SuDoku puzzles or finding prime factors of
> large integers.

Good good, thanks for having the patience to stick around til
everything was fixed.

> From this, -O2 GHC execution is about 19 seconds, Hugs execution is 5 minutes
> and 41 seconds (341 seconds) (including compilation, about 3 seconds), and
> Yhi execution is 5 minutes and 31 seconds (331 seconds).
>
> Overall: For this program (t3), Hugs and Yhc execution times are comparable.
> Compiled GHC -O2 is 17 times faster.

Yhc should be faster than Hugs, I would guess twice as fast as Hugs
normally. If your particular test is spending all its time in libgmp
with big integers then that might explain it - otherwise I'd be
curious why Yhc doesn't do better.

Andrew: Does Yhi get built by default with -O ?