[Yhc] CAF vs 0-arity function question

Tom Shackell shackell at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri May 12 05:20:07 EDT 2006

Hi Rob,

The constant table item constants are somewhat of a legacy. The original
constants were chosen to correspond to nhc's constants, however as far
as the Yhc runtime is concerned:

- A and Z are simply references to heap nodes and are treated in exactly
the same way.
- F, 0, C, P, X are all references to Info structures and are also
treated in exactly the same way.

However, you are quite right, looking at the C code 0 is mistakenly
included with the A&Z code. This has likely not proved a problem because
'0' is infact entirely redundant. The only thing you could do with a
0-arity FInfo is make an application to it, but why would you want to
when you can just push the CAF instead?

Ultimately we should tidy up the constants to a more simple

- Some constant value (i, l, f, d, s)
- References to heap nodes (N)
- References to FInfo or CInfo (I)

For the moment I shall change the C code to make using '0' an error :-)

Thanks

Tom