[Yhc] Yhc .hi format docs

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Thu Jun 29 10:17:54 EDT 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
>> Is there any documentation/dev notes/anything helpful having to do
>> with the Yhc interface file format?
> They are identical to the nhc98 ones, so if you can find any docs for
> the nhc98 stuff its reuseable

Ok.  Thanks.

>> I couldn't find anything on the wiki and trying to read the code for
>> the parser and printer made my head hurt.  They're both written in a
>> style that's a little, uh... less than transparent.
> The code is also directly from nhc98, with no modifications.
>
> Me and Tom have discussed this - moving to binary .hi files makes a
> lot of sense and will give quite large compile time speedups. Also,
> shoving the .hi information in the .hbc file is not a bad idea, since
> we already have a binary file sitting around and its useful type
> information that could be used to do a static type check on the .hbc
> file, similar to Java's verifier.

Ah... I see we're thinking along similar lines.  I'm currently
looking pretty closely at verification.  The hbc would be an awfully
convenient place to shove type info and verification certificates...

> The only thing to remember is that .hi files are written manually for
> a couple of things to bootstrap stuff.

Is that to resolve cyclic module dependencies al la GHC, or for some
other reason?

> Thanks
>
> Neil

Rob Dockins