[Yhc] Linux PowerPC Buildbot slave set up

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 10:33:59 EDT 2006

Hi

> I decided to run the buildbot in a chroot (bind-mounting required
> directories like /bin, /usr, and so on) to give my system (now Ubuntu
> "Dapper Drake" on my old G3 powerpc) a bit of protection, and that seems
> to be working.
If this is a complex process or required any scripts/command lines,
would you mind documenting it on the wiki, so other people can do this
too.

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yhc/Buildbot

> can't wait till Yhc can compile itself
> for doubled testing and lower resource usage

The way to do it is to distribute a standard Yhc binary as an .hbc
file, which is compiled on one of the more powerful machines, via GHC.
Then the build process can download that one, do the build with Yhc,
and binary diff it against the original. That way the buildbots won't
need any Haskell compiler.

> or could a standard way to use hugs be
> set up perhaps, rather than necessarily doing the testing using the
> resource-hungry ghc?)
Unfortunately hugs is really slow to run Yhc, probably too slow to be
useable, but I'll check it out.