[Yhc] Can't compile

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 10:44:01 EDT 2006

Hi Isaac,

Me and Andrew have spent some time playing, and our buildbot for Yhc
with Mac OS X PPC gets to the end, and passes almost all of the tests
(one failing, which we're still tracking down).

Could you have another go at compiling, and let us know if you are successful?

Re: separating out the build, there are some issues with that. The
main one is that its simplest if the internal functions are invoked in
exactly the same way as the external ones - this results in less
special cases and better testing for everything. But this of course
means depending on libffi for the internal functions as well.
Fortunately libffi is available almost everywhere, at least everywhere
Python is available, so isn't a major problem.

You also refer to "better memory use" compared to Lua? Given the
following graph:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=lua&lang2=ghc

It seems that GHC has better memory use than Lua in most of the tests,
and in general Yhc has better memory use than GHC, so (taking a wild
guess), Yhc should be less memory intensive than Lua.