[Yhc] YHC build finished successfully, but install is not "fairly trivial"

Jared Updike jupdike at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 14:09:02 EST 2005

> Thats a cool idea! Also, because Yhc is written in Haskell and can be
> compiled to an HBC file

This is a *huge* plus! That is so wicked cool. Ha! I'm giddy!

> you could even run the compiler in the
> browser (although probably quite slowly).

I was thinking that too, especially for teaching Haskell (online,
interactive, no downloading anything!)

> There is an interpreter being written in Python, and there is one
> written in Java, so they would probably be a better starting point
> than the C runtime. The Java one is on the web
> (http://www.brianweb.net/personal/blog/entry.php?id=18), but the
> python one is still in development.

Do you know who is working on the Python interpreter? I could get in
touch with them. I think Python is the most similar to JavaScript
anyway (dynamic typing, everything an object). Plus I'm a lot more
fluent in Python than Java (and of course I enjoy it more). But I bet
both will help.

> Documentation on various stuff is available at:
> http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/Yhc_2fRTS
> http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/yhc/bytecodes.html

Thanks for the refs!

> You would probably want to write a hbc -> Javascript convertor

I also thought this would be a good idea. Ultimately you want a
program that takes an hbc file and gives you an HTML file that you
plop on the web and just use (pointing to or embedding the RTS
JavaScript core for you.)

> in a language that wasn't Javascript

Also smart.

> probably in Haskell.

Oh, that's a good idea, hadn't thought of that ;-)

> I recommend
> using: http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/yhc/2005-November/000004.html

Definitely a great place to get started. Plus any improvements on my
end can go back into this API. :-)

> Then write a Javascript interpeter for the instructions.

This is the hard part (I don't know anything about JavaScipt IDEs but
I suspect debugging will be ... interesting). Maybe that's a good
place to start out... looking for a good IDE for JavaScript.
<wondering out loud>I wonder if Visual J# is a reasonable choice
(already installed on my system) or is this a dangerous place to
go...</wondering>

> Thanks, and good luck - just ask any further questions.

Great. I probably will. Hopefully soon.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and thanks again for everything!
  Jared.
jupdike at gmail.com
http://www.updike.org/~jared/
reverse ")-:"