[Yhc] Compiling

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:56:32 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Linux (I avoid it like the plague), so I tried
building Yhc on Linux.

The first thing I did was darcs get, all nice and easy, if not
particularly fast.

Next thing I did was type make, and got a strange error message. A few
minutes later I realised that the reason is because configure has not
been run. Is it possible to detect this case, and ideally just run
configure for the user, or at the very least give a helpful and
friendly message telling them exactly what they need to do?

I was very impressed that yhc and yhi both built nice and easily,
although the YHC_BASE_PATH issue threw up its head, and since I have
no idea how to set an environment variable, at that point I have to
give up. Sensible defaults would be really nice. It should also be
documented somewhere on the wiki.