[xmonad] don't manage windows layout

Platon Pronko platon7pronko at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 07:34:04 UTC 2023

On 2023-06-12 06:19, Alain Bertrand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a program which doesn't work nicely with xmonad because of the apparition of popup windows, supposed to be small but who take suddenly half the size of the screen.
>
> Is there a layout for xmonad which would (un)manages windows just like, say Openbox  ?

I use myManageHook for floating or ignoring such popup windows. This way you can keep your usual layout and only add some special cases for misbehaving windows.

Something like this:

myManageHook :: ManageHook
myManageHook =
   composeAll
   [ fmap (isInfixOf "Gnuplot") title --> doFloat
   , className =? "Xfce4-panel" --> doIgnore
   , className =? "Yad" --> doFloat
   , isInProperty "_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE" "_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_TOOLBAR" --> doIgnore -- fix for libreoffice dialogs
   , isInProperty "_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE" "_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH" --> doIgnore -- splash screens
   , isFullscreen --> doFullFloat
   , isDialog --> doFloat
   , role =? "pop-up" --> doFloat
   ]

(you can check the window properties using xprop utility)

--
Best regards,
Platon Pronko