[xmonad] DynamicLog.defaultPP and Prompt.defaultXPConfig AWOL on Nix

Jacek Generowicz haskell.org-lists at my-post-office.net
Thu Aug 25 07:53:32 UTC 2022

Hello,

I've been a happy XMonad user for years, and it is both one of the most useful
and most stable pieces of software in my personal configuration.

After an upgrade to my NixOS/home-manager configuration, XMonad fails to
recompile with the following error message:

xmonad --recompile
XMonad will use ghc to recompile, because neither "/home/jacg/.xmonad/build" nor "/home/jacg/.xmonad/stack.yaml" exists.
XMonad recompiling (forced).
Errors detected while compiling xmonad config: /home/jacg/.xmonad/xmonad.hs
$ /nix/store/g4bjasmlq3v3dxryd02abpkr4mg7y1d5-ghc-9.0.2-with-packages/bin/ghc --make xmonad.hs -i -ilib -fforce-recomp -main-is main -v0 -outputdir /home/jacg/.xmonad/build-x86_64-linux -o /home/jacg/.xmonad/xmonad-x86_64-linux

xmonad.hs:84:34: error:
    Module ‘XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog’ does not export ‘defaultPP’

84 | import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog ( defaultPP
   |                                  ^^^^^^^^^

xmonad.hs:133:37: error:
    Module ‘XMonad.Prompt’ does not export ‘defaultXPConfig’

133 | import XMonad.Prompt (autoComplete, defaultXPConfig)

Please check the file for errors.

Its exceptional stability has made me not have to configure or think about
XMonad for aeons: it's simply an extension of my fingers.

Consequently this error is leaving me completely stumped.

Can you give me any hints on how to resolve this problem?