[xmonad] tweaking xmonad into a reparenting window manager

Platon Pronko platon7pronko at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 19:04:40 UTC 2021

Hi!

Is there some fundamental reason why Xmonad is non-reparenting?

My current (naive) understanding is that Xmonad does not reparent the windows simply as a small optimization (why create a second window if you can live with one window just fine). If that's the case, then adding a tweak that allows Xmonad to do reparenting should be doable. However I understand that it will be non-trivial undertaking, so I wanted advice of more experienced developers before I sink in a lot of time to find out that this is fundamentally impossible for some reason.

Best regards,
Platon Pronko