[xmonad] Problem upgrading xmonad via cabal

Eyal Erez oneself at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 22:53:12 UTC 2020

Hi,

I've recently tried to upgrade xmonad to the latest version but have been
experiencing some problems.  My guess is that the version I'm getting from
cabal is conflicting with Fedora's packaged version, but I'm not sure how
to disentangle.

I've tried the following, any suggestions would be most welcome:

> cabal --version
cabal-install version 2.4.1.0
compiled using version 2.4.1.0 of the Cabal library
> cabal update
Warning: The update command is a part of the legacy v1 style of cabal usage.

Please switch to using either the new project style and the new-update
command
or the legacy v1-update alias as new-style projects will become the default
in
the next version of cabal-install. Please file a bug if you cannot
replicate a
working v1- use case with the new-style commands.

For more information, see: https://wiki.haskell.org/Cabal/NewBuild

Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
To revert to previous state run:
    cabal update --index-state='2020-02-24T08:44:25Z'
> cabal install xmonad
Warning: The install command is a part of the legacy v1 style of cabal
usage.

Please switch to using either the new project style and the new-install
command or the legacy v1-install alias as new-style projects will become the
default in the next version of cabal-install. Please file a bug if you
cannot
replicate a working v1- use case with the new-style commands.

For more information, see: https://wiki.haskell.org/Cabal/NewBuild

Resolving dependencies...
All the requested packages are already installed:
xmonad-0.15
Use --reinstall if you want to reinstall anyway.
> cabal install xmonad --reinstall
Warning: The install command is a part of the legacy v1 style of cabal
usage.

Please switch to using either the new project style and the new-install
command or the legacy v1-install alias as new-style projects will become the
default in the next version of cabal-install. Please file a bug if you
cannot
replicate a working v1- use case with the new-style commands.

For more information, see: https://wiki.haskell.org/Cabal/NewBuild

Resolving dependencies...
In order, the following would be installed:
xmonad-0.15 (reinstall)
cabal: The following packages are likely to be broken by the reinstalls:
xmonad-contrib-0.16
xmonad-contrib-0.15
Use --force-reinstalls if you want to install anyway.